Have you ever wondered why truth is stranger than fiction? This, and many other topics will never be explored here. You will mostly find half-assed posts about crap I've thought about for 2 seconds. (I really need to work on my promotion skills.)

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Leadership - Communication = Punishment



This lesson: This week was a really bad one at work.  Someone was off for vacation.  Another was off sick with a particularly virulent strain of the flu.  One was off "sick" because...she didn't want to be left out I guess.  In my opinion, the type of week that makes or breaks a group of employees as a team.  All was well....except when my manager was in the office.
What did I learn?

  • When she barks orders and then takes the rest of the day off without clarifying, I'm better off just ignoring the orders all together.  Trying to do my interpretation of what she was requesting got the whole team in trouble.
  • According to her, if at first, second, third or fourth you don't succeed, 2 more tries should do it.
  • Scheduling us all to stay an hour later for 2 days out of the week so we can fail some more at her "master plan" accomplishes nothing except to breed resentment by all parties.
  • Having us all stay late doesn't cut into her social calendar.  She's the exception to all of her rules.
  • When she runs around the office putting out conflicting information to all the employees, somehow that's my fault.

"Knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

0 comments: